KWV, a cornerstone of South African winemaking, has once again demonstrated its exceptional prowess in the prestigious Tim Atkin 2023 South Africa Report. In his latest report, this British Master of Wine (MW) underscores KWV’s continued commitment to producing top-tier wines, as evidenced by a range of high scores awarded to its wines. This accomplishment follows KWV’s Chief Viticulturist, Marco Ventrella, being honoured as the Best Viticulturist in the 2021 report and the consistent recognition of its wines.
Atkin’s annual report provides a comprehensive overview of South Africa’s wine landscape, highlighting both established and emerging talents. Building upon the recognition garnered in previous years, KWV’s consistent dedication to quality has once again been acknowledged in this year’s report.
KWV has long been associated with excellence in winemaking, earning a reputation for delivering exceptional wines. In the 2022 South Africa Special Report, KWV’s Classic Collection Cape Tawny received a notable 93 points and was commended as the Best Value Fortified Wine of the Year. The 2023 report reaffirms KWV’s consistent quality, with the Classic Collection Cape Tawny once again securing this podium position with an impressive 93 points. KWV’s Laborie Brut MCC NV scored 90 points and the title for Best Value Sparkling Wine of the Year, further reaffirming this producer’s commitment to achieve an “excellent balance between quality (grapes), winemaking process, sustainability, performance and pricing”.
Furthermore, Ventrella’s distinction as the Best Viticulturist in the 2021 report underscores the winery’s holistic approach to winemaking, placing an emphasis on both viticulture and winemaking excellence.
Reflecting on KWV’s consistent success, Justin Corrans, Chief Winemaker at KWV, stated, “We are immensely proud of the recognition received in Tim Atkin’s South Africa Report year after year. This recognition reflects our commitment to crafting exceptional wines that showcase the unique terroir of South Africa. It’s a testament to the hard work and dedication of our entire team.”
KWV Cathedral Cellar range, known for its wines that capture the essence of the Western Cape’s diverse terroirs, achieved impressive scores, including:
– KWV Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay 2022 – Western Cape – 91 points
– KWV Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc 2022 – Darling – 91 points
– KWV Cathedral Cellar Triptych 2020 – Western Cape – 91 points
KWV Classic Collection range, celebrated for its craftmanship and value-for-money offering, featured:
– NV KWV Classic Cape Tawny – Western Cape – 93 points
KWV Laborie range, with a legacy of elegance and finesse, captured notable scores, exemplified by:
– KWV Laborie Blanc de Blancs MCC 2017 – Western Cape – 91 points
– NV KWV Laborie Brut MCC – Western Cape – 90 points
KWV The Mentors range, a showcase of excellence and innovation, garnered exceptional scores, including:
– KWV The Mentors Cabernet Franc 2021 – Stellenbosch – 92 points
– KWV The Mentors Canvas 2021 – Western Cape – 92 points
– KWV The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2022 – Swartland – 92 points
– KWV The Mentors Grenache Blanc 2022 – Coastal – 93 points
– KWV The Mentors Orchestra 2021 – Western Cape – 92 points
– KWV The Mentors Perold 2021 – Coastal – 92 points
– KWV The Mentors Petit Verdot 2021 – Stellenbosch – 93 points
– KWV The Mentors Pinotage 2021 – Stellenbosch – 92 points